words :: books :: ideas

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Read These


Please Note: This list is not complete, nor does it pretend to be. As they are discovered, more books will be added.
» Paradise Lost by John Milton
This book stretched my reading abilities like none before it. Written by a blind man in the 17th century, this 10, 560 line epic poem recounts the first several chapters of Genesis.
» To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Prior to reading this book, I did not understand that some people hate others based merely on the colour of their skin. It opened my eyes to the realities and horrors of racism. Harper Lee writes with a compelling Southern style.
» Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
One of the most moving books I have ever read, this book also touches on the subject of racism. For a short review, read my post entitled Comfort in Desolation.
» The Complete Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton
Chesterton's prose is like poetry to me. His manner of writing is simply excellent. The Father Brown mysteries are intriguing and delightful. The plain little priest with the brilliant detecting mind is a protagonist in short stories worth reading.
» Heaven by Randy Alcorn
Each of Randy Alcorn's works renews in me a longing for Heaven and eternity with the Person for whom I was created. Biblically answering questions I had never even thought of, this book made Heaven and the New Earth more of a reality for me.
» The Slumber of Christianity by Ted Dekker
Ted Dekker is known for his fast paced thrillers. I enjoyed a number of his earlier works, but stopped reading his novels because they got too graphic and gross. This non-fiction, however, encourages Christians to become excited about eternity with Jesus Christ. As the subtitle states, it "Awaken[s] a Passion for Heaven on Earth."

P.S. There are two books that every so often, I accidentally read again. When I see either Follow My Leader (by James Garfield) or Year of the Black Pony (by Walt Morey) sitting on the shelf as I contemplate my next read, I pick the book up with great danger to myself. I may start out simply flipping though the pages, recalling fond memories of reading them throughout my youth. Soon I am engrossed. Whereas most of the books listed on this page are intended for a bit more advanced reader, these two are children's books. I have probably read each one four or five times.

1 comment:

j said...

Hey, that's me! I'll have to look into these. Thanks, love. :)